Thursday, March 9, 2023

What's the Word?

Photo by Acton Crawford on Unsplash


Alanis Morrisette would say it was ironic. Coincidence? Satirical? Maybe just weird. I'm not sure.

Tuesday was the one-year anniversary of my divorce. That night, my ex got into an accident, totaling his Explorer. Flashback to 2018 when he was hit head-on by an F150, totaling his first Explorer, which was the impetus to the downward spiral of our lives, culminating in the divorce. 

What do you call that kind of absurd alignment?

I want to say it bookended that chapter of life, but I'm not sure that it did. I want this to make a positive impact in my ex's life. I want him to see what's really important. But I feel like the odds of him relapsing into a mid-life crisis is more likely than a come-to-Jesus moment. For my kids' sake, I'm praying that doesn't happen again. 

My son was in the car with him Tuesday, and thankfully no one was seriously injured. It was a white-knuckle drive to the scene for me as I prayed that he was ok. The paramedics were finishing looking him over in dark in the freezing rain when I got there. Seeing him standing up on his own was a huge relief. They released him to me to take to the ER for a thorough exam, and as we passed the poor teen who had been driving the other car, I squeezed his arm and told him it was ok. He and his dad were apologetic and the poor kid was distraught. But in the end, cars can be replaced. Everyone walked away from it and that's all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Milestone

Photo by vuk burgic on Unsplash I finished going through the last box of my parents' belongings today. It was mostly bills and paperwor...